Mittwoch, 16. November 2016

12


Bought a gps messenger (Spot Gen 3) the other day. Using one is part of the grönabandet safety regulations; apart from that... it makes sense to me since I am going alone, also in quite remote areas. And I don't want anyone at home to be unnecessarily worried. According to other hikers' blogs there will be days when I do not see or meet anyone at all. 




But these devices may also cause trouble... 
During my hike in summer I met Juste from Lithuania at Aktse stugorna (Rapadalen). We were talking the general trail talk, about the weather - it was wet and cloudy - and if it was worthwhile going to Skierfe to see Rapadalen in that kind of weather, also about maps and gps etc. I had not seen a gps messenger before. So she showed me her Spot and explained the different functions including help and S.O.S. button. 

Some time later in the afternoon the mountain police was looking for her. She got excited: Did I press the S.O.S. button? Did I leave it on? And quickly checked... No, her boyfriend had been worried about her whereabouts; maybe she had forgotten to send a message about staying in the hut - it was a rainy day - for another zero day. So she then sent the position with an I'm OK! message. That is how I got to know the Spot gps messenger and all its functions. Thank you, Juste!

I activated and tested my Spot right away. All functions - well, I did not press the S.O.S. button - seem to work quite all right; my tracky, as I call the device, will be tested on other journeys first. 

Later, just before I actually start the hike, I will set a link find me on this blog. It will show my actual position on the trail and my progress for the last seven days on a map. Messages like I am OK, or Need a rest, staying here another day. can also be published.


Here is a survey of functions:

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen